Google Analytics

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Dilemmas of an Imperfect Mom

With slowing down on my blogging in the latter part of the year, I suddenly realized I positively MUST sneak in a last one before the year ends :).

It seems nowadays that life is full of wishes like these. I:

- Hope that my 6 year old goes to sleep everyday by 8:30 pm, but that means I have to get dinner on the table by 7:30 at least (Which is seriously only possible about 50% of the time)

- Get exasperated because the kids don't tell me about their school homework on time, but hope to avoid checking their diaries every day - ONLY because they would never get independent, NOT because it's more work for me :P.

- Want to have healthy snacks available at home all the time, but that means I need to plan and make them ;). If anyone wants to supply some regularly, I'm open to the idea!

- Love the idea of elaborate and healthy breakfasts but I have a ton of excuses including (1) am too disorganized (2) hate to wake up early.

- Would LOVE to see the house spic and span but it feels like too much work to oversee someone doing the cleaning. End result: Do it myself? Hmmm, still tussling on this one.

- Want the kids to have opportunities to learn lots of skills before their school work gets too demanding, but find it positively painful to have to keep reminding them to practice :D. Plus some days the time taken to get them to their classes and back just gets to me.

- HATE to cook, but the kind of not-so-healthy meals turned out by a cook (not to mention the tension of coordinating with someone) are also a bit of a no-no.

- Want to set a good example to the kids where fitness is concerned, but find it challenging to stick to a schedule without getting distracted or bored along the way. Getting better at this, but still a long way to to.

Here's to more dilemmas in 2015, and hopefully solving a few of them as well :). In that context, If you, like me, have a strange sense of wanting to change "something", do try reading "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin - I don't read much non-fiction but this one just has me nodding along. Happy New Year to All!!

6 comments:

  1. You've put down what every mother goes through, my dear. With a lot of honesty and soul-searching too. For 2015, I hope that you never lose your spark, your smile and your goodness as a parent. Everything else will sort itself out. Hugs to my biggest rock this past year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much my dear Shailaja :). A lovely and happy 2015 to you too!

      Delete
  2. Touch wood to all your wishes. Many of them are mine too. What shailaja said is true, though. Most of your concerns will get sorted over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tulika, am holding on to that hope :).

      Delete
  3. That looks like my concerns too!. Having had a cook for past few months, can assure you its a headache :P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping in Vidya :). Yes I have experienced those headaches which is why I am not too keen on trying again ;). Would love someone to do all my prep, and all the after-cleaning as well though :P

      Delete