Google Analytics

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Learning responsibility

I received this in my monthly Babycentre mailer reminding me that S is now 4 years and 9 months old!



Learning responsibility
Having something to dote on, like a plant or pet, is great training for your child's budding sense of responsibility. That doesn't mean you should bring home a puppy just yet, unless you plan to do most of the work yourself. Your child is far from ready to take full responsibility for an animal. What she is ready for, though, is a chance to help out with small jobs that make her feel useful and teach her what living things need.


Pets, now are something I have never been used to as a child, and am still not completely comfortable with. Plus I see one more being to pottytrain as the end of the rope, and absolutely refuse to do it! The kids know that if they want pets, they're going to need to be old enough to take care of her/him themselves. Even then I get the occasional query from D of "Amma, can we get a dog?" and it gets tougher each time to say a firm no :(.

Though I am still definitely on the fence on this one, I know many of you do have pets and kids, so I was wondering how do you manage? Could it be because you yourself are a pet kinda person without making any special effort about it?

On the positive side, at our home, my plants are living beings enough at the moment, and S has a blast trying to help me water them on weekends :). 

This post is written for #marathon bloggers Day 16.


6 comments:

  1. Interesting how you manage to throw up a question in your posts.
    My oft-advertised pov: I'm a person who loves animals, and am happy that my boys are growing up with a dog which teaches them sensitivity towards all living things, responsibility, sharing - and they get his unconditional love too.
    BUT - a dog needs to be a full commitment. It's respsonsilbiity. Walking him 3 or 4 times a day, and in the initial days - cleaning up after him. More so, it's heart-breaking for an animal to be in a loving house and then turned out because the family couldn't cope. So overall, I'd agreee with you - having a dog is unbeatable on the love-scales, but at this age - they're probably just thinking of the doggie as a stuffed toy they can cuddle - not a living being, right? they've got to be big enough to take some of the responsiblity off your shoulders. Then only is it a win-win situation.
    Hope I was of some help? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe guilty as charged Jane D :) Simplest thing to do when you are feeling uninspired ;).

      And you are a big help, I feel more or less justified in my decision at least.. to be revisited in a few years, and to not feel guilty about in the meanwhile :).

      Delete
  2. I have had dogs growing up, well mostly. But my mom did make it clear that me and my sister had to do stuff, take up responsibility so we didn't get "our" dog till I was in 10th standard. But I agree with Jane, having a dog is a lovely experience yet a lot of work too. IMO it is like having another child in the house and one that doesn't start using the potty in the house anytime. So take your time and don't rush into it would be my 2 cents. N had asked me a few times about having a dog. I took him to the local SPCA shelter here and we did spend some time with some puppies. He saw that they weren't just playmates and had to be walked (which was fun), cleaned up (which wasn't), fed and taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10th Standard sounds about right Simran, cannot imagine anytime before that ;). And even then I can imagine I would be doing quite a part of the caretaking with kids at school etc.

      Another child was exactly the analogy that came to mind - especially with the potty training aspect, not to mention the regular feeding/walking! Unless I am prepared for a commitment that size, not happening :). Thanks so much for sharing your views!

      Delete
  3. I always wanted a dog never got one though, :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get one now I guess Aaron ;), though I guess that would also be tough with your working schedule.

      Delete